Tuesday, March 23, 2010

And The Newest Superhero is....




THE INTERNET!

After reading this article from MSN I have now been informed on how the internet has saved at least 8 lives thus far! Some of the stories were very interesting. One man saved his own life thanks to an iPhone app and another woman was saved after being severely attacked by her horse. Luckily she was broadcasting her horse's birth via webcam and had people from as far as Berlin calling 911 on her behalf for assistance! This goes to show that everyone is truly connected via the internet so it is really no surprise that it is saving lives! Does anyone have interesting stories like these? I know I personally don't YET at least! The internet has however "saved my life" figuratively many times with school projects, cooking or almost with anything I wasn't sure how to do myself (as I'm sure it has for many of you as well).

It is truly incredible to think that without the internet those 8 people would've died. It is obvious we have one powerful tool at our hands! The Web is home to many new life changing resources. For me some fascinating ones are firstly: the Afrosphere and their fight together to preserve and enhance their culture; and secondly: digital activism where people are coming together via blogs, or social networking sites and creating change.

One of my favourite examples of these is the Jena 6 shocking story about racism that is still very much alive in a small town of Jena, Louisiana. In 2006-2007 6 young black males were being charged with attempted second degree murder and conspiracy after a white student was injured during a fight that had commenced after white students hung nooses in a tree. The amazing part for me was that although mainstream media did not cover this, the afrosphere came together and a protest in Jena was started during the boys court hearings. Here is the video from that day; it is truly unbelievable.


My favourite part about this video, is the sense of community and belonging between complete strangers. I think it is truly remarkable that people have come together from all over to fight for justice and to show those boys they are not alone! The internet is most definitely in these situations considered a superhero! It has affected our lives in so many ways. I would love to hear of other amazing stories you have come across like this one and share in this promotion of the internet! (although I do know it hasn't always been used for good things)

With the theme of the internet having a major impact on our lives I also want to direct you to my other blog where I'm continuing this topic by blogging about how our engagement with the internet, specifically social networking sites, has really had an impact on reshaping and creating new expectations in our relationships. It is something I think we (as active citizens) can all really relate to so please come check it out!

P.S To my fellow classmates: What was your favourite thing about this class? Or has there something new you've learned that has truly amazed you like Jena 6 has for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment