Friday, February 26, 2010

Cheers! To Becoming An Active Citizen



This cyber world, the public sphere, this forum in which we connect with people all over the world is mind boggling. Until this course I feel like I've taken it all for granted. Always having the internet available for my every need yet never realizing how much more I was missing out on. After forcefully having to engage in this public sphere, and become an active citizen my eyes have been opened to what I had so often over looked. I would like this post to be seen a toast to the internet and its facinating tools (as well as to Laurier in offering the opportunity to learn about Citizen Media and the Public Sphere!)

Before this course I was very naive about the internet. I would never have thought twice about engaging in Youtube responses or even blogging as the idea of talking to strangers seemed dangerous. I say dangerous because growing up with the creation of the internet put alot of scare in my parents minds along with society since one of the first things we're taught is to "not talk to strangers". However what I've realized is that not everyone on the internet is out to stalk you or rape you (as I said I was very naive), most active citizens are just honest people chatting and conveying thoughts and opinions freely in this public sphere. This is such a big movement for us. Before people only conveyed thought and opinion through personal conversations or in literature. Now the average joe can give their two cents freely without any boundaries as to who can say what. The boundaries I speak of that used to exist were educational credentials. Many professions (like journalism) have now transfered power (credentials) to the everyday person. This in my opinion is a great thing! More information and knowledge circulating provides us with multiple perspectives and can only further our potential to change the world for the better! This might be me being naive again but for now it works! Agreed?

This week I've found myself becoming more aware of the opportunities I have in this public sphere, and also had a strong urge to be a more active citizen. Below are a few of my findings and realizations. I hope most of you can relate!

Today I sat down and just listened to someone on Youtube called Phil DeFranco Show and his show was very informative about recent events (that involved sex) in the news which I had not heard alot about yet. I found it informative and intriguing and it provoked me to create a Youtube account and leave my own personal comment. From here I also took it upon myself to read many of this responses that were posted as well. This act is what truly amazes me. That people have taken the time out of their life to "do something" and comment back on their thoughts just as he encouraged them to do. People from all over the world talking together about their opinions on current events! Tell me this isn't an amazing concept that has nothing but a promising future!? I realize just watching the video's doesn't completely make me an active ciziten however commenting on it has made me feel like a more accomplished person. (Hoping you all can relate because it's hard to explain the feeling!)

When reading articles online I've now realized how convenient it is to share something with others. I've always noticed that you could "email to a friend" but now most articles are compatible with Twitter, Facebook, Digg it and more. This convenience level is another positve appraisal of our public sphere! Living in the 21st century our main attraction are things that are convenient. These features speak to our society. I'm truly just in awe of how easy it is to connect or share anything through the internet. As a person who was first amazed that we could send files or pictures together you can just imagine how in "awe" I am of being able to embed videos, post links for others of things I like, or even be to able to write about it all in a blog like this. I've always seen people do this, but finally when I embeded my own video, or posted a link I liked to Facebook I felt very proud! I also got my first comment on a post I wrote yesterday and it was such a great feeling! To know others agree with my views and opinions and have more to add is a wonderful and positive feeling! From these feeling I can now understand how much the internet gives us a sense of belonging. Because of this course and allowing myself to be an active citizen it has broken down my stereotype about those "blogger geeks" and now I proudly admit to enjoying it!

The last thing that has amazed me about the internet this week is its ability to make dreams come true. Because it connects so many people, and provides an affordable form of advertising for many companies, they are able to offer contests for us to engage in. Companies who are reaching out to consumers through the internet get alot of positive feedback as it shows they recognize this new popular culture which we constantly engage in. One of my best friends is getting married this coming summer. Being only 21 years old and just finishing university money is of course a concern. Every girl needs the perfect dress for a wedding and the show Say Yes to the Dress is yet another reality TV show providing the average girl with a dream come true. (It's a great show girls and if you want you can find out more/watch episodes from that link) My friend, from a small town in Southern Ontario, has made it Top 11 in the "Say Yes to the Dress" contest and it now comes down to an online vote as to who will win! My friends name is Nichele and her entire life all she's wanted to be is a farmer's wife and her dream is finally coming true. Everyone wants their fairy tale wedding to be an elequent dream come true and with OUR help, as ACTIVE CITIZENS we could make this come true for her! I propose we all take one step and continue being an active citizen and vote for them now! You do have to register to an email account however after that you can vote each day for them and join in on the excitment! This opportunity she has is all thanks to the wonders of the internet and its active users. On my quest to becoming an active citizen I felt it as my duty ( and as a bridesmaid as well) to pass this on and hope that you all would join me in voting for them and being an active citizen like we should be! A simple task like writing about it in my blog, gives me such a positive feeling in helping contribute to her happiness! They have also created a Youtube video of their romance which is just another example of the powerful tools we have to help us connect in our cyberwold. As someone as simple as my friend who grew up in the country, has now had the opportunity to be a somebody thanks to the internet. And in fact we can all be a "somebody" if we choose to just by interacting with the tools at our fingertips! Putting ourselves out there, in the public sphere, can only lead to great things! I want to encourage everyone to check out the video of their love story and hope you choose to help them win that 5000 dolar dress for their fairytale wedding!

To end I would like to say Cheers! To the internet and its magical tools! I realize it's sad that for so many years already I've overlooked all it has to offer but I'm so grateful that I've discovered it now and hope my realization creates more realizations for others!

No comments:

Post a Comment